Our primary objective at Eyecare MPLS is to utilize advanced technologies and procedures to preserve our patients’ vision and eye health
- We believe in early diagnosis and management of eye conditions that might lead to problems down the road
- We believe in a long-term doctor/patient partnership for eye disease management, treatments and procedures
- We believe in taking the time to listen to our patients and to communicate with them
- We believe in convenient and pleasant clinical visits so our patients return to us time and time again
Dr. Stella Hennen
Stella Hennen, MD, MSPH, is co-founder and CEO of Eyecare MPLS. Dr. Hennen is an American Board of Ophthalmology certified eye physician and surgeon and a glaucoma specialist. She also performs glaucoma and cataract surgery and conducts comprehensive eye exams.
Dr. Hennen brings a unique combination of experiences, skills and interests to her profession:
- A colorful personal history that spans four continents
- Extensive academic, clinical and surgical training in the UK and the United States
- Experience and intense interest in advanced eye technologies and procedures
- A genuine appreciation for her patients as individuals
Academic Achievements and Awards
- Mentoring for Advancement of Physician-Scientists (MAPS) Award from the American Glaucoma Society
- Faculty Career Development Award from the Washington University School of Medicine
- Authored over 30 peer-reviewed publications as well as 2 chapters in ophthalmology textbooks
- Reviewer for the glaucoma section of the American Journal of Ophthalmology
- Invited speaker to regional and national ophthalmic meetings on management and research in glaucoma
- Clinical Assistant Professor and glaucoma faculty in the Department of Ophthalmology at Washington University in St. Louis from 2011 to 2013
- Medical degree from the Russian State Medical University, Moscow, Russia
- Clinical and surgical training in ophthalmology in the United Kingdom
- Ocular pathology and pediatric ophthalmology research fellowships at the Medical University of South Carolina
- Glaucoma research fellowships at the University of Alabama at Birmingham and the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary
- Surgery internship at the Medical University of South Carolina School of Medicine
- Ophthalmology residency at the University of Minnesota Medical School
- Clinical fellowship in glaucoma at the Indiana University School of Medicine
- American Glaucoma Society
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Minnesota Academy of Ophthalmology
- The Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
Cataract surgery. Techniques, Complications, and Management. In: Steinert RF, editor. Saunders, 2003; Intraocular lens-related opacifications: in front, within, between, and behind the intraocular lens. Triverdi RH, Werner L, Suresh K, Peng Q, Arthur S, Macky TA, Apple DJ. Pages: 443-467
Elimination of cataract blindness: A global perspective entering the new century. Principal authors: Apple DJ, Ran J, Foster A, Peng Q. First major contributing author: Arthur SN. Survey of ophthalmology, 2000; 45 Suppl 1:S1-196
Peer-Reviewed Scientific Manuscripts
- Stella N. Hennen, MD, MSPH, Wenxin Xing, MS, Ying-Bo Shui, MD, PhD, Yong Zhou, MS, Kalishman Jennifer, DVM, MS, Lisa B.Andrews-Kaminsky, Michael A. Kass, MD, David C. Beebe, PhD, Konstantin I. Maslov, PhD, and Lihong V. Wang, PhD. Photoacoustic tomography imaging and estimation of oxygen saturation of hemoglobin in ocular tissue of rabbits. In press, Experimental Eye Research, 2015
- Chang ST, Xu J, Trinkaus K, Pekmezci M, Arthur SN, Song SK, Barnett EM. Optic Nerve Diffusion Tensor Imaging parameters and their correlation with optic disc topography and disease severity in adult glaucoma patients and controls. J Glaucoma. 2013 Apr 29. [Epub ahead of print]
- Efficacy, safety, and survival rates of IOP-lowering effect of phacoemulsification alone or with canaloplasty in patients with open angle glaucoma. Arthur, D. WuDunn, LB. Cantor , GR. Prattar, Y. Catoira-Boyle, L. Morgan, J. Hoop. J Glaucoma. 2014 Jun-Jul;23(5):316-20
- Review of alpha-agonists. Arthur SN, Cantor LB. Experimental Eye Research. 2011 Sep;93(3):271-83
- Uveitis-glaucoma-hyphema syndrome and corneal decompensation in association with cosmetic iris implants. Arthur SN, Wright MM, Kaufman SC, Grajewski AL. Am J Ophthalmol. 2009;148:790-3
- Reproducibility and agreement in evaluating retinal nerve fiber layer between Stratus OCT and Spectralis OCT. SN Arthur, SD. Smith, MM. Wright, AL. Grajewski, Q Wang, JM. Terry, and MS Lee. Eye (Lond). 2011 Feb;25(2):192-200
- The Location of the Inferior and Superior Temporal Blood Vessels and Inter-individual Variability of the Retinal Nerve Fiber Layer Thickness. Hood DC, Salant JA, Arthur SN, Ritch R, Hood DC. J Glaucoma. 2010 Mar;19(3):158-66
- HRT III glaucoma probability score and Moorfields regression across the glaucoma spectrum. Reddy S, Xing D, Arthur SN, Harizman N, Dorairaj S, Ritch R, Liebmann JM. J Glaucoma. 2009;18:368-72.
- Blood vessel contributions to retinal nerve fiber layer thickness profiles measured with optical coherence tomography. Hood DC, Fortune B, Arthur SN, Xing D, Salant JA, Ritch R, Liebmann JM. J Glaucoma. 2008;17:519-28.
- Intra-observer and inter-observer reliability and reproducibility of slit-lamp-adapted optical coherence tomography for evaluation of anterior chamber depth and central corneal thickness. Sandler SF, Zelefsky JR, Dorairaj S, Arthur SN, Ritch R, Liebmann JM. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging. 2008;39:299-303.
- Comparison of diagnostic accuracy of Heidelberg Retina Tomograph II and Heidelberg Retina Tomograph 3 to discriminate glaucomatous and nonglaucomatous eyes. De León-Ortega JE, Sakata LM, Monheit BE, McGwin G Jr, Arthur SN, Girkin CA. Am J Ophthalmol. 2007;144:525-32
- Detecting visual function abnormalities using the Swedish interactive threshold algorithm and matrix perimetry in eyes with glaucomatous appearance of the optic disc. Sakata LM, Deleon-Ortega J, Arthur SN, Monheit BE, Girkin CA. Arch Ophthalmol. 2007;125:340-5.
- Effect of glaucomatous damage on repeatability of confocal scanning laser ophthalmoscope, scanning laser polarimetry, and optical coherence tomography. DeLeón Ortega JE, Sakata LM, Kakati B, McGwin G Jr, Monheit BE, Arthur SN, Girkin CA. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2007;48:1156-63.
- Correlations between retinal nerve fiber layer and visual field in eyes with nonarteritic anterior ischemic optic neuropathy. Deleón-Ortega J, Carroll KE, Arthur SN, Girkin CA. Am J Ophthalmol. 2007;143:288-294.
- Comparison of the Moorfields classification using confocal scanning laser ophthalmoscopy and subjective optic disc classification in detecting glaucoma in blacks and whites. Girkin CA, DeLeon-Ortega JE, Xie A, McGwin G, Arthur SN, Monheit BE. Ophthalmology. 2006;113:2144-9.
- Discrimination between glaucomatous and nonglaucomatous eyes using quantitative imaging devices and subjective optic nerve head assessment. Deleón-Ortega JE, Arthur SN, McGwin G Jr, Xie A, Monheit BE, Girkin CA. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2006;47:3374-80.
- Agreement in assessing cup-to-disc ratio measurement among stereoscopic optic nerve head photographs, HRT II, and Stratus OCT. Arthur SN, Aldridge AJ, De León-Ortega J, McGwin G, Xie A, Girkin CA. J Glaucoma. 2006;15:183-9.
- Secondary acute angle-closure glaucoma associated with vitreous hemorrhage after ruptured retinal arterial macroaneurysm. Arthur SN, Mason J, Roberts B, Girkin CA. Am J Ophthalmol. 2004;138:682-3.
- Scanning electron microscopic and histologic evaluation of the AcrySof SA30AL acrylic intraocular lens. Manufacturing quality and morphology in the capsular bag. Escobar-Gomez M, Apple DJ, Vargas LG, Werner L, Arthur SN, Pandey SK, Izak AM, Schmidbauer JM. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2003;29:164-9.
- LETTERS TO THE EDITOR-Reply-Acrophialophora fusispora Misidentified as Scedosporium prolificans. Stella Arthur, Lisa L Steed. Journal of Clinical Microbiology. 2002;40: 3544-3545
- Snowflake degeneration of polymethyl methacrylate posterior chamber intraocular lens optic material: a newly described clinical condition caused by unexpected late opacification of polymethyl methacrylate. Apple DJ, Peng Q, Arthur SN, Werner L, Merritt JH, Vargas LG, Hoddinott DS, Escobar-Gomez M, Schmidbauer JM. Ophthalmology. 2002;109:1666-75.
- Evaluation of neodymium:yttrium-aluminum-garnet capsulotomies in eyes implanted with AcrySof intraocular lenses. Schmidbauer JM, Vargas LG, Apple DJ, Escobar-Gomez M, Izak A, Arthur SN, Golescu A, Peng Q. Ophthalmology. 2002;109:1421-6.
- Evaluation of 3 modern single-piece foldable intraocular lenses: clinicopathological study of posterior capsule opacification in a rabbit model. Vargas LG, Peng Q, Apple DJ, Escobar-Gomez M, Pandey SK, Arthur SN, Hoddinott DS, Schmidbauer JM. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2002;28:1241-50.
- Effect of haptic angulation on posterior capsule opacification in modern foldable lenses with a square, truncated optic edge. Schmidbauer JM, Escobar-Gomez M, Apple DJ, Peng Q, Arthur SN, Vargas LG. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2002;28:1251-5.
- Cloudiness of a PMMA intraocular lens. “Snowflake” degeneration. Schmidbauer JM, Apple DJ, Peng Q, Arthur SN, Vargas LG. Ophthalmologe. 2002;99:306-7. German
- Effect of heparin surface modification in reducing silicone oil adherence to various intraocular lenses. Arthur SN, Peng Q, Apple DJ, Escobar-Gomez M, Bianchi R, Pandey SK, Werner L. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2001;27:1662-9.
- Postoperative opacification of posterior chamber intraocular lenses – a review. Schmidbauer JM, Werner L, Apple DJ, Pandey SK, Izak AM, Trivedi RH, Macky TA, Auffarth GU, Peng Q, Arthur SN, Escobar-Gomez M, Ma L, Vargas LG. Klin Monatsbl Augenheilkd. 2001;218:586-94. Review. German.
- Influence of surgery-related factors on the Nd:YAG laser capsulotomy rates of 3-piece silicone IOLs – analysis of 457 pseudophakic human globes obtained post mortem. Schmidbauer JM, Vargas LG, Apple DJ, Peng Q, Arthur SN, Escobar-Gomez M, Izak A. Klin Monatsbl Augenheilkd. 2001;218:523-7. German.
- Millennium update on posterior capsule opacification (PCO) scores, centration, biocompatibility and fixation of foldable intraocular lenses-an analysis of 1,221 pseudophakic post-mortem globes. Schmidbauer JM, Vargas LG, Apple DJ, Auffarth GU, Peng Q, Arthur SN, Escobar-Gomez M. Klinische Monatsblaetter fuer Augenheilkunde, 2001;218:649-657. German
- Evolution of surgical techniques and intraocular lens designs for the developing world. Escobar-Gomez M, Arthur SN, Apple DJ, Vargas LG, Pandey SK, Schmidbauer J. Int Ophthalmol Clin. 2001;41:197-210. Review.
- Posterior capsule opacification. Schmidbauer JM, Vargas LG, Peng Q, Escobar-Gomez M, Werner L, Arthur SN, Apple DJ. Int Ophthalmol Clin. 2001;41:109-31. Review.
- Snowflake opacification of poly(methyl methacrylate) intraocular lens optic biomaterial: a newly described syndrome. Peng Q, Apple DJ, Arthur SN, Merritt JH, Escobar-Gomez M, Hoddinott DS. Int Ophthalmol Clin. 2001;41:91-107.
- Silicone oil adherence to silicone intraocular lenses. Arthur SN, Peng Q, Escobar-Gomez M, Apple DJ. Int Ophthalmol Clin. 2001;41:33-45. Review.
- Scedosporium prolificans keratouveitis. Arthur SN, Steed L, Peng Q, Apple DJ. Clinical Microbiology, 2001;39:4579-4582